- Precinct of Nurses’ Training College
The school is in the Ga east district, 22km from Accra central on the Accra/Aburi road. It 1.5km off Pantang junction and located on the Pantang Psychiatric hospital premises.
- Brief History of Nurses’ Training College, Pantang
Between 1888 and 1940, there were no trained nurses working with the mentally sick in the country. In 1940, Mr. Sarbaha, a qualified registered nurse was transferred from the Korle-bu hospital to head the Accra Mental hospital. Mr. Kukuvi followed later. Mr. R.A. Pappoe took over from Mr. Sarbah. The first Ghanaian Matron was Mrs. Margaret Kumi. Before her, the matrons were also expatriates including Mrs.Champions
In 1946, Training of Qualified registered mental nurses started at korlebu hospital. The First students were all males and they were discharged orderlies who worked with the Military nurses during the Second World War.
The first batch of Qualified Registered Mental Nurse (QRMN) passed out in 1951.Under the tutorship of Mrs. Simson in 1948, registration of students with the QRMN certificate was started. This program stopped in 1981. By 1963, the post basic department of nursing was established at the University of Ghana under the auspices of WHO and UNICEF. The program offered diploma in nursing education and nursing administration. Among the first batch of graduates were Mr. L.L. Tamakloe, Mr. Twumasi and Ms. Addy Acquah.
In 1972, Mr. L.L.Tamakloe took over as a Principal of the Ankaful Enrolled Nursing School after he had received British Government Technical and scholarship to pursue nursing in Britain.
He set out to draw a curriculum for the psychiatric affiliation course for SRN. He also planned for the establishment of RMN program as well as Concentrated Combined SRN and RMN programmess.
In 1974, RMN course for SRN’S started at the Ankaful Psychiatric Hospital.
Between 1974 and 1975, a community psychiatric nursing began at Accra Mental. Mrs. Julian Owusu was the head then Mr Paul Addison, through a British Technical program took over from Mrs. Julian Owusu. The Pioneers of community psychiatric nursing incuded Mrs. Lydia Okaine and Mr.Botchway, thereafter and Community psychiatric nursing has since spread throughout the country.
In 1978, a group of 28 students undergoing a two year qualified registered mental nursing and qualified registered nursing programmes at Korle –Bu were enrolled into nurses training college, Pantang within the Pantang hospital premises to undertake the course.
The Pantang hospital authorities, under the leadership of the late Dr. Sika Nartey, converted one of the wards to serve as a training school for the programme. Some of the students included: Mr. Asempa, Ms Stella Coffie and Florence Amegashie among others.The principal of the school at the time was Mr. L.L. Tamakloe and assisted by tutors such as Mr. Lovelace Amoah, Mr. Patterson and Mrs. Akoaku Frimpong.
In 1988, the programme was changed to a three year certificate awarding programme. The school started the diploma programme in 1999n in line with recast system. Initially, lectures were held in the girls’ hostel until 2006, when a classroom / administration block was built by the Ministry of Health. The classroom and administration block known as Hajia Balchisu Iddrisu block is named after the principal of the college who headed the institution from 1994 – 2009.